Monday, June 24, 2013

Photos Are About Memories

Yesterday I ran a 5K!  This is my second one in just over a month.  I didn't train for this one like the one in April.  I didn't even really want to run yesterday with the weather, but despite all the whining, we actually beat our time in April by 3 minutes!  My mom was there to cheer me on.  I ran with two friends who cheered me on.  I was proud of myself for beating our time.  I was proud of myself for only walking about 1/2 a mile.  I was proud of myself for running across the Stone Arch bridge both directions.  I was proud and happy.  It was actually kind of fun.  

Until I saw this picture... 



And I was no longer excited or proud of what I had accomplished.  All I could focus on was the picture and how gross I think I look in it.  I tried to be excited but it was all I could focus on.  I looked at the pictures of 2 years ago when I was down 50 and training to run every day.  When I finished my second race.  The WW 5k that was a life-changing moment for me.  



When I woke up this morning I realized how ridiculous that was.  YESTERDAY I finished a 5K!  I ran a 5K!  I didn't really train and I beat my time from only a month ago!  I had a great time, with great friends, and my mom!  And as I was thinking about this, a quote came up on a friend's page.
This quote came from a blog.  I went to this blog and looked through the pictures and quotes.  The woman who writes it is a supporter of being healthy and not fixating on only looks.  It really hit home.  I am not being healthy right now.  But my fixation and obsession with my weight is not making me any more healthy.  There was one quote on her blog that I read and loved.

“Photos are about memories and experiences, not just how you look or what you weigh.”


I read that quote and it made me smile.  Yesterday was an amazing memory.  An amazing experience.  And a reminder that I can do whatever I put my mind to.  Yesterday was an amazingly successful and fun day.  So phooey on where I was two years ago!  I want to celebrate RIGHT NOW!  There are a lot of exciting things coming up and I want to live in the moment and enjoy... And yesterday couldn't have been a more perfect day for where I am at this moment in time.  And I am lucky to have photos that will remind me of the amazing memories...






No comments:

Post a Comment